Dustin W. Edwards
Office: Storm Hall West 109
Email: [email protected]
Dustin W. Edwards (Ph.D., Miami University) joined the faculty in the Department of Rhetoric and Writing Studies (RWS) as an Assistant Professor in 2021. Prior to his appointment at SDSU, Edwards taught writing and directed graduate programs in Rhetoric and Composition and Professional Writing at the University of Central Florida. His research and teaching areas include digital rhetoric, environmental rhetoric, and professional writing.
Broadly, Edwards’ research examines infrastructures of digital rhetoric. He is currently completing a book manuscript that investigates the environmental and colonial harms of digital technologies and large-scale digital infrastructures. His work has been published in journals such as Computers and Composition, enculturation, Rhetoric Review, and Present Tense, as well as edited collections such as Circulation, Writing, and Rhetoric and Digital Ethics: Rhetoric and Responsibility in Online Aggression. .
Edwards is a core member of RWS’s Global Rhetorics Initiative, which is a years-long curriculum expansion project that considers how to teach writing and rhetoric for our Border community.
Outside of his academic work, Edwards likes to hike San Diego trails, swim in the Pacific Ocean, and watch questionable TV.
- Hogan, Mel, Dustin Edwards, and Zane Griffin Talley Cooper. “The Making of Critical Data Center Studies.” The Intersectional Internet II: Power, Politics, and Resistance Online. Eds. Safiya U. Noble, Sarah T. Roberts, Brooklyne Gipson, and Sulafa Zidani. Peter Lang. In press.
- Edwards, Dustin. “Critical Infrastructure Literacies and/as Ways of Relating in Big Data Ecologies.” Computers and Composition, vol. 61, 2021
- Edwards, Dustin. “Deep Circulation.” Privacy Matters: Conversations about Surveillance Within and Beyond the Classroom, edited by Estee Beck and Les Hutchinson Campos. U of Colorado P, 2021.
- Shivener, Rich, and Dustin Edwards. “The Environmental Unconscious of Digital Composing: Mapping Climate Change Rhetorics in Data Center Ecologies.” enculturation: A Journal of Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture, vol. 32, 2020.
- Edwards, Dustin. “Digital Rhetoric on a Damaged Planet: Storying Digital Damage as Inventive Response to the Anthropocene.” Rhetoric Review, vol. 39, no. 1, 2020, 59–72. Honorable Mention for the 2020 Theresa J. Enos Anniversary Award.
- Dieterle, Brandy, Dustin Edwards, and Paul Dan Martin. “Confronting Digital Aggression with an Ethics of Circulation.” Digital Ethics: Rhetoric and Responsibility in Online Aggression, Hate Speech, and Harassment, edited by Jessica Reyman and Erika Sparby. Routledge, 2019, pp. 197–213. Collection won the 2020 Computers and Composition Distinguished Book Award.
- Gelms, Bridget, and Dustin Edwards. “A Technofeminist Approach to Platform Rhetorics.” Technofeminism: Computers and Composition Online. March 2019.
- Edwards, Dustin. “Circulation Gatekeepers: Unbundling the Platform Politics of YouTube’s Content ID.” Computers and Composition, vol. 47, 2018, pp. 61–74.
- Edwards, Dustin, and Heather Lang. “Entanglements that Matter: A New Materialist Trace of #YesAllWomen.” Circulation, Writing, and Rhetoric, edited by Laurie Gries and Collin Gifford Brooke. Utah State UP, 2018, pp. 118–134.